Friday, May 13, 2005

Scriptural encouragement

Hey ladies and gentlemen,
I just wanted to share with y'all the passage I was reading in my quiet time this morning. John 15:1-8 (ESV):

1 "I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser. 2 Every branch of mine that does not bear fruit he takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit. 3 Already you are clean because of the word that I have spoken to you. 4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. 5 I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing. 6 If anyone does not abide in me he is thrown away like a branch and withers; and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned. 7 If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. 8 By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit and so prove to be my disciples."

There's so much good stuff in there (which is why I quoted the whole thing); I would really encourage you guys to meditate on this and to pray it back to God for our community. But a few things I was noticing in particular:
1. The all-importance of abiding in Christ. I heard a talk on this passage once where the speaker said that "abiding" in this case meant "staying connected." We need to stay connected to Christ and to His Word (v. 7), both individually and as a whole community, for this to work.
2. Prorities! He is the vine and we are the branches. This is not for us (although we get some cool stuff out of it too:)); it's all for Him.
3. "Apart from me you can do nothing." No matter what we do, if we're doing it apart from Christ, it's not worth doing it because we won't be able to do it. :) (Is that kind of like the main thing being to keep the main thing the main thing?)
4. Verse 7. With everything that still needs to happen with applications, leases, co-signers, dads... if we ask in God's will, if we're staying connected, He'll give it to us.
5. Dare I say verse 8 would be an awesome mission statement for the Train Station? Just a suggestion...

Sorry this got so long, but I hope you can take some strength from it. I love all you guys more than you know. And don't worry... an explanation of train will come. Soon. :) Love yaz! (as my Aunt Suzie on the East Coast would say)

AJ
<><

3 Comments:

Blogger Mike Morabito said...

AJ, well said my brother.

Amen.

the 15th chapter of John is soo relevant right now. its so awesome that God is glorified when we bear fruit and that he reminds us that ultimately it is him who provides the nourishment necessary to do his will. i think this is exactly what we need AJ, thanks for sharing.

keep on praying guys.

you guys are amazing.

In Christ's Love,
-Mike

-----------
Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers.
Gal. 6:9-10

May 13, 2005 4:04 PM  
Blogger Idhrendur said...

Thank you for sharing that.

May 14, 2005 1:28 AM  
Blogger AJ Harbison said...

Thanks guys.

Bethany... I prefer AJ, not A.J. Just for future reference... ;)

AJ
<><

May 14, 2005 1:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home